Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Those Darn Squirrels!

Walks with Kodi are something to be experienced. I've noticed more things in my environment during my walks with him, than I think I ever had before.

I find myself looking up into the branches of the trees around us where I've seen a variety of critters, mostly squirrels and birds.

When we're walking and I see him looking up, I'll stop, so he can investigate and I find myself looking up with him, trying to see what he's seeing, trying to see it through his eyes.

He has the same love for Butterflies that Echo had, though he has no interest in caterpillars, which fascinated her. She was interested in squirrels but not in chasing them, mostly watching them, but Kodi wants to chase them and get close to them. He is fascinated by birds flying over head.

This tree he's standing against is an old tree, that hangs down over the sidewalk, like a canopy. It is in the block before our house, so we walk under it often. There are squirrels that seem to almost tease him, staying close to or on the ground, until he's near, then shooting up into the tree, just out of reach as he nears.

Every walk with Kodi is a wonderment, a relaxing venture into appreciation of nature, taking the time to see, hear and smell the world around me.

No comments: