Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Always Surprising Me

Today, I was sitting in my power chair, preparing to cut my husband's and my son's hair for them. As I was getting the clippers and scissors out, Kodi came to me, wanting a little attention.

I pet him, told him he was a good boy and proceeded to rub the heal of my sock against the foot rest of my chair, so I could take it off in preparation, so I wouldn't get hair clippings stuck in my sock and then track them all over the house.

I pulled my heal a little too hard and the sock fell off. Kodi immediately picked it up and handed it to me. The other sock, I gently rubbed against my foot rest and wiggled my toes. He sniffed the toe of my sock as I said, "Kodi tug it". (First time we tried this skill)

He gently took my sock in his mouth and pulled it off my foot, handing it immediately to me. What a good boy! He got a nice treat for his efforts.

We had tried to teach him to help me with taking my slippers off, several months ago, but he really didn't understand what we were asking. Today, he didn't hesitate.

Once he had helped me, he went under the kitchen table and laid down out of the way, as I cut both heads of hair. When I was finished and my husband was sweeping the floor, he came to my side, up against my chair and leaned against me as I pet him, wagging his tail happily.

After my husband and son had showers, I slipped in to wash all the hair clippings off. Kodi laid right outside the shower stall while I was inside, then went in on the bed when I came into the bedroom.

When I sat down on the bed to dress, Kodi came up behind me, rested his chin on my shoulder and licked my face.

He is my sweet angel.

No comments: