Friday, March 19, 2010

Service Dog Teams ~ Not All the Same

Perhaps some people don't know that a service dog and the person accompanied by the service dog are a team.

They develop a bond, become in-tune with one another, as a service dog is asked to be constantly aware of the needs of their human companion, they must be able to respond in any environment, regardless of the many distractions around them.

They must be constantly aware of their partner's mobility apparatus, (if they utilize such) whether it be a power chair, manual wheel chair, walker, cane, etc., so they don't get hurt or cause injury to their partner.

A good rule of thumb I share with others is, if you see a vest, bandanna, or any markings on the lead that indicate you're approaching a service dog, don't approach, talk to or attempt to pet the dog.

Every team is different. One person might allow you to pet their dog if you ask, others may prefer no contact. Some may use specific commands when allowing contact, others may not.

Kodiak and I were confronted tonight by a lady holding a baby in her arms. She asked if they could 'visit' the doggy. I smiled and said, "I'm sorry, when he has his vest on he's working." She sort of sighed and said, "We have a neighbor with a service dog and when he wears his vest he gives him the 'go visit' command and lets us pet him."

I found myself explaining that my dog is in training and I don't allow contact. I shouldn't have had to explain anything, my answer should have been sufficient, not challenged.

I'm always glad to encounter people who understand what the vest means, who know to be respectful of the service dog team, but it's always important to remember that service dogs, service dog teams, breeds used as service dogs and disabilities that may require the assistance of a service dog are NOT 'cookie cutter' by any means. There are many variations in skills, commands, and certainly preferences of people with disabilities.

We did well, Kodiak ignored the woman and child, lying down on the ground by my chair as I spoke with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, on the up-side...at least they asked! I get people walking up and petting my non-traditional sd all the time...I still haven't figured out what to say. I don't allow it. At least, not when asked...

Go Kodi for lying down and ignoring her!!