Monday, May 25, 2009

Helping with Household Chores


Last Friday, as I was working around the house, in an effort to get things organized for the long weekend, I found myself a bit of a 'butter fingers', dropping things on the floor or simply needing things out of reach.

Kodi stayed close to me all day, as I moved through the house from room to room.

I started in the bedroom, where I set about folding clothes, as I haven't been able to get my power chair in that room since I got it 2 and 1/2 years ago. (We just had the doorway widened.) I was folding clothes, laying them out on the bed, as Kodi lay on the bed watching me.

When I went around the bed to fix the quilt, I found my husband's dirty clothes on the floor around his hamper, so I asked Kodi to jump down and pick them up for me. He licked my face, then jumped down and picked up two socks, a pair of underwear, a t-shirt and a pair of sweat pants, one at a time, and handed them to me.

When I went out to the kitchen to unload the dishwasher, I fumbled a small bowl and dropped it on the floor. Kodi came out and hesitated for a moment, not having picked up dishware for me before and carefully picked it up and put it in my hand.

I gathered the febreze and carpet freshener and headed for the living room, where I set about straightening the slip covers on the sofa and loveseat. As I was doing so, the bottle of febreze fell on the floor. Kodi came over and picked it up, handing it to me carefully, so as not to spray it.

When I put the cleaners and things away, I moved to the desk in the kitchen and straightened there a bit. As I was rearranging things on our 'media center' some business cards fell on the floor. Kodi picked them up and placed them in my hand.

I rewarded him for a day's hard work with a long walk and a romp through the yard to play with his tennis ball.

Yesterday, as I was sitting in the living room relaxing, crocheting, my scissors fell on the floor. Kodi was at my feet, laying down, but he stood, used his paw to move the scissors from the rug onto the floor and picked them up, placing them into my hand. He was rewarded for a job well done.

Later, as I was crocheting away, oblivious to much around me, besides counting stitches, Kodi got up and came over by the far side of my chair, between my chair and the decorative table and proceeded to pick up a skein of my yard that had fallen, unbeknownst to me. He put it on my lap.

Later, when I had placed my things on the arm of the loveseat beside my chair, our oldest cat started pulling apart my yarn, chewing on it. Kodi stood up and watched for a moment, then I said, "take it away from him Kodi" and he DID! He gently reached up and took one end of the skein in his mouth and pulled it away from the cat, handing it to me.

Last night, when readying for bed, I tried adding something new to our routine. I asked Kodi to 'tug blankets' and he turned down the quilt and sheet for me, taking it in his mouth and backing across the bed until he'd turned down the corner making enough room for me to sit down so I wouldn't sit on the quilt.

With some consistent practice, I'm convinced there isn't much Kodi couldn't do to help me.

No comments: