Sunday, May 24, 2009

How Does He Know?

Lately I'm simply astounded by what Kodi does, how he seems to know things, without a word from me or any previous source of reference.

We were walking to the park earlier this week and just before crossing a parking lot to the park, I was forced to take my power chair over an area covered by fallen limbs and sticks.

The clearance on my chair is only 2 inches, so things easily can get stuck, hung up on the under carriage of the chair, caught in the tires. Sure enough, a branch got caught under my chair. I tried to back up, thinking if I did, it would untangle is, push it back out the front of the chair, but it didn't work, I tried to turn, thinking that might break it and free it, but that didn't help.

I stopped for a few moments, trying to figure out how I might free the limb, when Kodi stepped in between the leg rests of my chair and took the stick in his mouth, pulling on it. I moved the chair backwards and the limb was free.

How did he know to take the stick in his mouth and hold on to it like that? How did he understand what I was trying to do was to free the stick? I gave no command and we had no previous source of reference for him to pull from.

Just two nights ago my husband was in bed, I was in the bathroom and Kodi was bringing his toys into bed. My husband kept putting the toys on the floor and he kept retrieving them.

Kodi jumped off the bed and disappeared into the living room, returning with one of my sneakers. He brought it into bed and my husband put it on the floor. Kodi got down and picked it up again and brought it back into bed. My husband put it out of bed again. I asked him to be patient a moment as I asked Kodi to 'go into the living room and get my other sneaker from next to my chair.' He looked at me as I repeated my request, then jumped down off the bed and went into the living room.

He promptly came back with my sneaker in his mouth and jumped back up on the bed.

I had never asked him to go into another room and retrieve something for me before. I didn't even hold the other sneaker in my hand as an example of what I wanted him to get.

How does he know what I need or want from him without even saying a word, giving him a command, providing an example or working on a particular skill?

I have to believe our bond grows ever stronger, connected on a spiritual level.

No comments: