Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Battle to Groom is WON!

Anyone familiar with Huskies knows that they are big 'shedders'! They shed all year round and experience two times a year when they 'blow their coat', Spring and Fall.

They have double coats, a fluffy under coat and a smoother outer coat. Having two coats provides them with insulation against cold climates where they've been bred to work. When they shed, the under coat can come out by the handfuls. It ends up EVERYWHERE!

When Kodi was a little puppy, he seemed to enjoy grooming. He would let me brush him a little every day. He cooperated with the clipping of his toenails, cleaning of his ears, bathing and brushing of his teeth.

While he still enjoys having his teeth brushed (peanut butter flavored tooth paste) and allows his ears to be cleaned, he's not so cooperative about the rest of the process.

As he's gotten older, undergone surgery to have his dew claws removed, been neutered, etc. he's become less comfortable with 'handling', especially around his hind quarters.

When we groom, it's a 'team effort'. My husband sits on the floor with me where he pets and massages Kodi while I brush. It's a long process because everyone is moving and wiggling and not necessarily on the same page.

Tonight, I sat on the floor with Kodi's slicker brush and shedding comb. He came right over to me and sat down between my legs. I hugged him, he leaned into me. I told him I needed him to lie down. He did, without resisting.

I started slowly brushing him, smoothing his fur with my other hand as I brushed. He lay still, allowing me to brush him without the distraction my husband usually provides. When I got to his hip he lifted his head up and looked at me, but I stroked his head and face and spoke to him until he put his head down and sighed heavily.

I finished one side of his body and allowed him to get up and take a break. As a reward for being such a good boy, we played for about ten minutes, tugging and playing catch with a ball. When he came back to me I told him I needed him to face the other direction and guided him with his collar. He turned and sat between my legs. Again, I hugged him and he gave me a kiss. I asked him to lay down and he did so immediately.

I was able to brush his whole other side from head to tail with his full cooperation. I was even able to take the shedding comb over the base of his tail and down its length.

When we were finished, he looked wonderful, though I know his Spring shed, blowing his coat, isn't over yet, in fact, it's just begun. That picture at the top of the blog is from a previous shed and only about a third of what we got off his coat tonight.

He has shown a great deal of maturity lately, being obedient, even in distracting situations. He's overcoming some of his fears and insecurities. We continue to work on obedience as well as assistance skills.

I couldn't be more proud of him!

No comments: