Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I Didn't Need to Ask

I recently visited my doctor and returned with some new medications. I've been having some trouble adjusting to the side effects of these new 'meds', feeling severe fatigue, over heating and heavy sweats, some upset stomach and severe muscle cramps.

As is my typical experience, the side effects of the medications are nearly as debilitating as the disabilities.

I was readying to go to sleep the other night, sitting on the edge of the bed, pulling my night gown out from under the pillows, when Kodiak decided to help me with my hair. I had my 'pinch clip' in, rather than my scrunchie, but he bit down on it and tugged it, pulling it gently to the side of my head. He wasn't able to get it out, but he certainly gave it a try.

As I pushed my pants down Kodiak jumped down off the bed and took my pants in his mouth. As I let them fall below my knees he picked them up and handed them to me.

As I put the pants on the night stand next to the bed he placed his paw on the top of my foot, sliding it down over my sock. I lifted my foot slightly as he pulled my sock off my heal, then took the top of the sock in his mouth and pulled it off my foot. He shook it out and handed it to me. As soon as I took it he went to work repeating the same procedure on the other foot, pulling the sock off and shaking it out, handing it to me.

He sat down and waited for me to undress and get into bed. After I was in bed with the covers pulled up he came up on the bed, being careful not to step on my legs, as I'm having a lot of pain in my calves.

He stood between my husband and I, turned around and lay down, draping his chin over my calf, pressing his back and hip against the length of my right leg and hip. The warmth from his body seems to help the muscles relax.

He's been staying with me, at my feet when I'm sitting in the living room, laying against my body when I'm in bed, following me to the bathroom where he either lays on the floor at my feet or on the bed, as in the picture, looking at me, keeping an eye on me.

He's been staying with me when I sleep-in this past week, coming up softly on the bed and gently kissing my face to wake me. He stays with me until I'm dressed and I'm able to make it into the living room.

We are so connected it scares me sometimes. He knows when I'm not quite feeling right, when I'm a little wobbly.

I find that I often have to ask other humans around me for help, even though they can see or hear me struggling, yet Kodiak doesn't wait nor does he need to be asked. Is there any doubt as to why I love him so?

No comments: