Saturday, March 6, 2010

Leave My Dog Alone!

I've been working with Kodi when we're outside, allowing him to be off leash in the yard for brief periods, proofing him on "come". He's been doing fabulously!

Today, I took him out on his 30' leash and my neighbor was out in his yard, with both his dogs (Maggie and Molly) and his oldest daughter.

When Kodi saw Molly in the yard and she was bouncing back and forth along the fence, he wanted to go visit her.

I called out to the neighbor, saying "She's really getting big! She's almost as tall as Kodi!" He called back, "She's 14 weeks old and weighs 34 lbs."

Kodi was really intent on Molly and clearly wanted to go visit her, so I asked him, do you want to go say hi? as I was contemplating whether or not I wanted to take the leash off or drop it behind him. Suddenly, my neighbor called out, "Kodi! Come here Kodi!" and he's off like a shot! I had to drop the leash as there was no opportunity to take it off him.

He bounced up and down the fence with Molly, then my neighbor called him to him and reached over the fence, as Kodi stood up momentarily. He grabbed his leash and as I'm standing there, in shock, he's pulling the leash up in the air, trying to get Kodi to stand up against the fence. I can see his chain collar (which is the one he wears inside - as opposed to his nylon collar with tags when he's outside) pulling up above his head, more and more of it showing!

This guy is pulling Kodi up against the fence by pulling his collar tight!!!!

I called Kodi back, he dropped the leash as Kodi looked back at me and ran toward the corner of the fence, as Molly and Maggie were excited and the little girl was calling to him. I called again, repeatedly. He stopped and looked at me, but was so excited and distracted he didn't respond.

I started up the ramp calling him, but my neighbor was still talking to him. Finally, as I came back down the ramp calling out, "Kodi, you've been doing so good, don't spoil it now, Kodi come!" he finally took hold of Molly and his daughter, moving away from the fence.

Kodi saw me again and as I called, "Kodi come!" and started up the ramp he came running across the yard and up the ramp.

This man has no idea how to show the least little bit of respect to me, Kodi or my relationship with him.

Once again, I can't imagine taking a hold of another person's dog (pet) and interfering when they are giving commands. This man does this every single time he's able to have contact with Kodi. He takes him by his collar, pushes him down to the ground, gives him commands, etc., regardless of what I'm saying to Kodi, regardless that I'm there.

I always find that I'm so taken aback, that I draw a blank as to what to say. I know that my husband and he are friendly, so I try not to do anything that will have an impact on their relationship and peace in the neighborhood. I almost feel held hostage.

I was so upset, that I felt tears welling up, seeing someone manhandle Kodi like that, knowing that his collar was tightening around his neck and throat as this man tried to force interaction with him. He was so far away from me that I couldn't have walked that far quickly enough and without endangering myself, to help Kodi.

I've asked my husband to speak to him about handling Kodi. I could just scream!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is frustrating!!!

Not quite the same, but I'm always shocked how I can be out with my service dog, in his service dog vest, with a giant red patch that says, "WORKING DO NOT PET" and still have strangers not only talk to him, make funny sounds, and try to call him over, but walk up and start petting and pulling on him, or even pick him up! (Yes, this has happened) Unbelievable. I do not understand interfering with other people's dogs, especially if they are service dogs who are working. And the same thing, I never know what to say. I try to give Toby cues to refocus him on me, praise him for ignoring, tell him "ah-ah" if he gets up to go with them, or walk away if I can..I can't bring myself to address the people directly..I hope they get the point.

I love petting dogs, but if they have a SD vest on, no, I always get permission first, and as soon as their owners start giving them cues I stand up, and turn my back if the dog is still focusing on me. It's just common politeness.

R. G. Maines said...

Oh, I know just what you're talking about. Kodi and I encounter this all the time. He has a blue vest with red/white/black patches on both sides that say "Do Not Pet Me - I'm Working". It shows a hand with a red circle around it with a slash through it.

Adults are far worse than children when it comes to disrespecting the vest.

I, like you, am taken aback by the boldness of some folks. I never quite know what to say. I've actually had a female neighbor approach us when we were passing her home in the street. Her motorcycle was sitting along the curb. She ran out to us and actually took Kodi's leash from me and walked him on the sidewalk around the cycle, rather than allowing me to walk with him around the bike. Then she handed him back to me.

I was appalled! How dare she? Did she believe I was incompetent and unable to control him from my chair? Did she believe him so unruly that he couldn't walk near her cycle? What motivates people like that?

A husky breeder that I know will see us on the sidewalk and start screaming Kodi's name a block or more away from us, even though he has his vest on.

I've had people call me a "b*tch" for telling them they couldn't pet him because he's working.

I think people see a husky and want to pet the 'snow doggy'. They know he's soft and fluffy and looks like the dogs in Disney movies, it's hard to resist. I try to understand that, but still, I can't imagine trying to control another person's dog when they are right there!

Thanks for the comment