Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Unexpected Breakthrough

As I shared in previous blogs, Kodiak has been a quick learner when it comes to performing assistance tasks for me inside the home. He picks up dropped items, things I can't reach, brings me my shoes, takes off my shoes and socks, takes the hair tie-back out of my hair, retrieves the phone, remote control, etc. His skills have helped me complete my weekly household chores and vastly reduced the stress I was experiencing doing things that had become challenging.

Kodiak has accompanied me into the local bank and pharmacy. Though he'd had a bit of trouble in the bank, a tight space with many people, he's done remarkably well, considering how much time we've actually been able to dedicate to attending in public.

Kodiak has had trouble translating what we learned indoors to the outdoors. I realized we trained inside, often without his vest, lead, etc. (as we began training before we had those items). He has been easily distracted when outside. He would often respond to 'pick it up' as if he'd never heard the command before, seeming confused.

I've been unable to take my power chair outside since early December, when the first snow and ice collected on the sidewalks and at the curb cuts. There have been few opportunities to practice.

Yesterday, when we went down the ramp to go out and potty, someone's Styrofoam plate had blown from their garbage can and was in our driveway. Kodiak took notice of it and sniffed it. I thought I would give it a shot, so I gave him the command, "pick it up" in a light, encouraging voice.

He tried to pick it up, but it scooted away from him, so he put his foot on it and pinched it, folding it in half, lifting it up and handing it to me. He had his leash on and there were distractions around us, but he did it!! As he handed it to me, I leaned down to praise him and he offered a kiss.

I put him on his airline cable and he ran out into the yard, enjoying the sunshine.

I had taken the advice of a service dog training organization previously, trying to force him to follow the command outside and it was horrible, for both of us. He just seemed so confused. It wasn't until I realized they didn't understand how we had trained prior to that, so though their advice was well-meaning, it was a bit misdirected.

I decided I would continue working with Kodiak by being loving and patient, rather than trying to force something, knowing that he's incredibly intelligent and intuitive, willing to please and was not just being difficult.

Being patient and allowing him to initiate the act, then praising him for doing the task, certainly had a bigger impact than forcing him to submit to me when he clearly didn't understand and was confused.

We've also had another breakthrough recently.

I've tried in the past to take Kodiak out in the yard off leash, as I was able to do with Echo, but he's bolted three times and run into a neighbor's yard. I know that huskies are, by nature, roamers and it is highly recommended that you don't take them out off leash because they can get hurt, particularly if their prey drive is strong and they encounter a cat, small dog, squirrel, etc.

I've taken him out to potty several times recently and allowed him to be off leash. He obeyed me and stayed in his yard, even going to visit Molly at the neighbor's fence and retrieving a thrown toy. When I told him "come" he's come running to and past me, right up the ramp to the deck.

I'm working on showing him that I trust him outdoors, so that he will trust me outdoors, not to ask anything of him that would hurt him or be unsafe. I don't want him to hesitate when we're outside.

We are a work in progress. As long as we are making progress, I'm happy.

I've had people ask me how long he's been training and express that they think we should be further along than we are, but I believe every dog is different and every team is different. I'm satisfied with the progress we're making and as long as Kodiak is comfortable with the methods we're using, that's what matters to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! What a huge breakthrough! And here's to the power of positive training!

Good for you for recognizing that you know your dog and not just giving in to the experts. There is no one way to train every dog, and problems that look similar can be caused by entirely different things. It is extremely difficult to give advice over the phone for that very reason. If they're a good training organization, they should rejoice that you knew your dog well enough to figure out what was wrong and find a way to work through it!

Also, I'm not sure who was telling you you should be farther along, but I don't think people realize how very difficult it is for a service dog to work out in the world. There are lots and lots of distractions, often new ones, they spend a lot of their time having to just lay around waiting, which causes excess energy to build up they have to keep reined in, they are constantly being asked to work in new environments (dogs are notoriously bad generalizers), they have to have a very high level of reliability in their tasks, and they have to be ready to intelligently disobey or use initiative at any time, which uses more brainpower than most pet dogs will ever need. It sounds to me like Kodiak is doing great, and you should be proud!

R. G. Maines said...

Thanks!! Positive Training is the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

You're right about not necessarily giving in to the experts. I knew the organization that offered to help me was at a disadvantage because they didn't have all our background and couldn't see the behaviors themselves.

Too many people seem to approach training as if there is only one way to 'do it right', they have tunnel vision. They fail to acknowledge that every dog is different, as is every owner and even worse, if that particular training model doesn't work, they are quick to label the dog un-trainable or difficult.

I've had a couple of people, who know dog trainers locally, comment that it seems to them that Kodiak has been 'in training' for almost a year, wondering why he's not trained yet. They ask me how long he'll have the 'in training' patch on his vest and if that's not just a ruse to pass off my pet as a service dog.

I know, from taking on the job of training Kodiak, that it takes a lot of re-enforcing and practical application of the skills so that we are able to meet acceptable standards for Service Dog etiquette.

People think it's no different than basic obedience training, 'sit', 'stay', etc. They really have no idea what's required to be a Service Dog 'team'.

Thanks for all your constructive comments. I look forward to reading what you have to offer.