Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"Door" to Progress

We recently started working on "Kodi's Spot", a place just inside the bedroom doorway where Kodiak goes when someone knocks on the door. He's to go there and lay down waiting for permission to come greet the visitor.

He's been doing well with that. Today we had an opportunity to practice it and he did fine, though he left his spot before being given permission. Later in the day, a neighbor was at the screen door where Kodiak could see him, as the inside door was open. I didn't have a chance to take Kodiak to his spot, but I stood just inside the door as I invited our neighbor inside. Kodiak had to stay back, as I didn't allow him to pass and rush the door.

He stood next to me when I gave the command to sit down, which he did. He faced the door as I instructed him to stay. He did so. I didn't need to hold his collar to 'restrain' him, he obeyed verbal and hand commands.

I sat down in the recliner, between Kodiak and the neighbor and Kodiak shifted so he was sitting between my feet. He waited until I allowed him to greet the neighbor, waiting for him to calm down. When he did greet him, he was a good boy, kept his feet on the floor, didn't bark or howl at him, sniffed his hand appropriately and came back to sit with me.

I was impressed by how easily he controlled himself, how well he listened to me. Again, positive reinforcements and patience prevail!

I'm encouraged at what more we can learn and accomplish.

No comments: