Friday, March 12, 2010

A Healthy Environment

I am a bit obsessed with Kodiak's environment being safe, clean and healthy. Whether it be indoors or out, I try to make sure that there's nothing within reach that could cause him harm. I was meticulous about 'puppy proofing' the house before bringing him home as a puppy and I made sure there was nothing in the yard that could pose a threat to his health.

I'm fanatical about keeping the solid waste out of the yard. I am on my fifth 'pooper scooper' as a result of how often I use them, I've worn them out, their hinges have broken or they've simply fallen apart.

When I walk Kodiak in the community, when we go out to run errands and I use my chair, I have a 'pooper scooper' strapped to my chair so I can clean up after him.

I was cleaning up in the yard, a while back, when a neighbor yelled, "if I 'went' in your yard would you pick mine up too?" I was appalled! He often made fun of the way I immediately took up the 'pooper scooper' and went into the yard once Kodiak had finished toileting.

I don't see the entertainment value in being a responsible pet owner and caring about the health of my dog, perhaps I'm missing something?

I know I'm very protective of Kodiak, as I never tie him out and leave him alone in the yard. When he's outside, I'm outside with him, interacting, throwing a toy, watching him, praising him for 'taking care of business', as he was nearly stolen once when he was less than a year old, while I was outside with him.

I realize other pet owners aren't as vigilant as I am, they are of the mind that their pet is 'street smart', 'can fend for themselves', etc.

I've had occasion lately, to observe Kodiak's friend "Molly", the puppy who lives next door on the other side of the fence. While she lives in a large fenced in yard and does go inside, she's often left outside for hours, sometimes all day and evening, without a water bowl, with no supervision or interaction. The only toy she has in the yard is the one Kodiak gave her.



Her yard is littered with piles and piles of waste, as she shares the home with another dog, as well as a kitty who goes out into the yard. We hear her crying and whining for hours on end, wanting to go inside, but has been relegated to the outdoors because the family isn't home to work on housebreaking.

Lately, she's discovered the garbage can, emptying it into the yard, where she plays with plastic milk jugs, tin cans, bottles, etc.



She spends hours chewing on tin cans, trying to dig out from under the fence, tossing garbage around the yard, chewing on fallen limbs and sticks. I'm terribly concerned that she'll injure her teeth, gums or tongue, especially since she's a puppy and losing her teeth.

I may be overly protective, but I think having a dog (or any pet) is a serious commitment, a serious responsibility that we shouldn't undertake if we're not prepared to do what needs to be done to care for our pets.

My elderly neighbor called me to complain that she's been threatened with a fine by the city for the dog feces in her yard. The water meter reader complained about the mess. The problem is, she doesn't have a dog, her son who lives next door does and the waste in her yard is his dog's. The meter reader counted 56 piles of mess in the small area between the two houses.

People don't realize that waste that isn't removed from the yard can cause infections and disease in your own dog. It draws insects to the yard which can become a serious problem for the home owner and the smell of waste attracts stray dogs, cats and wild animals to your yard where they deposit their own waste which can contain disease and parasites.

It goes without saying that people who don't practice waste control in their own yards also don't pick up after their dogs when walking in the neighborhood. Sometimes our walks are more like navigating a mine field.

Some food for thought, while you can take off your shoes, if you 'step in something', when you go inside, I can't exactly take off the wheels of my power chair, so whatever I roll through, ends up in the house, so cleanliness and waste control is of great importance to me.

A healthy environment is important to all of us. Keeping Kodiak healthy and happy is key to my own health and happiness.

No comments: